SUPER BOWL LV: SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2021
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (16-2) VS. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS (14-5)
SUPER BOWL LV // SUNDAY, FEB. 7, 2021 // 6:30 PM ET // RAYMOND JAMES STADIUM // REFEREE: CARL CHEFFERS TV: CBS/CBS All Access/ESPN Deportes (6:30 PM ET): Jim Nantz, Tony Romo, Tracy Wolfson (field reporter), Evan Washburn (field reporter), Jay Feely (field reporter) NATIONAL RADIO: Westwood One: Kevin Harlan, Kurt Warner, Tony Boselli, Laura Okmin SIRIUS: 81 (KC), 83 (TB) | XM: 226 (KC), 225 (TB), 88 (National)
- The team wearing white jerseys have won 13 of the last 16 Super Bowl games. It is a run that began with the Patriots win over the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX (the Packers in Super Bowl XLV, the Eagles over Patriots in Super Bowl LI and the Chiefs over the 49ers last season are the exceptions).
- Teams wearing white have gone 32-22 in the Super Bowl.
- Teams leading at the end of the 3rd quarter are 42-9 all-time in the Super Bowl. They are 5-6 in the past 12 however (tied in 2019). In Super Bowl 39 the Eagles and Patriots were tied 14-14 after 3 and in Super Bowl LIII the Patriots and Rams were tied 3-3 after 3.
- Average total points scored by quarter in the Super Bowl:
- 1st: 8.3
- 2nd: 13.3
- 3rd: 10.4
- 4th: 13.5
- OT: 6
- Longest active streak of colleges with a player on an active Super Bowl roster (counting this season):
- Georgia & LSU 20
- Florida 19
- Andy Reid is just the 24th head coach in NFL history to appear in more than one Super Bowl
- The Chiefs have never lost a game by more than eight points with Patrick Mahomes as their starter
- This is the first time in eight years that the Super Bowl has featured a team that was not a number one or two seed in the playoffs
- Highest win percentages by a QB in NFL history with at least 50 starts (regular & postseason): Patrick Mahomes .830 (44-9-0) Otto Graham .792 (61-16-1) Tom Brady .767 (263-80-0)
- With a win Bruce Arians would be the oldest Head Coach to win a Super Bowl
- The Buccaneers defense has recorded seven takeaways (five interceptions, two fumble recoveries) and five sacks this postseason, both the most among playoff teams
|STREAKS||Have won 5 of the last 6 meetings.|
|COACHES PLAYOFF RECORD||Andy Reid 17-14||Bruce Arians 4-2|
|VS. COMMON OPP.||TB: 8-2 (Atl 2-0, Car 2-0, Den 1-0, LAC 1-0, LV 1-0, NO 1-2)KC: 7-2 (Atl 1-0, Car 1-0, Den 2-0, LAC 1-1, LV 1-1, NO 1-0)|
|LAST GAME||W 38-24 vs Buffalo||W 31-26 at Green Bay|
|LAST MEETING||November 29, 2020 Chiefs 27-24 at Tampa Bay|
|LAST PLAYOFF||First Postseason Meeting|
REGULAR-SEASON STAT LEADERS
|PASSING||Patrick Mahomes: 390-588 4,740 yards 38 TDs 6 INT 108.2 rating||Tom Brady: 401-610 4,633 yards, 40 TDs 12 INT, 102.2 rating|
|RUSHING||Clyde Edwards-Helaire 181 rush, 803 yds, 4 TDs||Ronald Jones 192 rushes, 978 yards 7 TDs|
|RECEIVING||Travis Kelce 105 rec, 1416 yds, 11 TD||Mike Evans 70 receptions 1,006 yards 13 TDs|
|OFFENSE||415.8 (1st)||384.1 (7th)|
|TO MARGIN||+6 (8th)||+8 (6th)|
|DEFENSE||358.3 (16th)||327.1 (6th)|
- Kansas City has advanced to the Super Bowl for the 2nd consecutive season & 4th time in franchise history (won SBs LIV & IV, lost SB I)
- The Chiefs are looking to be the first repeat Super Bowl Champions since the 3003-04 Patriots
- Patrick Mahomes will be the youngest QB in NFL history to start in two Super Bowls (25 years 143 days)
- Andy Reid looks to become the 14th head coach in NFL history to win multiple Super Bowls
- Patrick Mahomes has 2,054 pass yards (293.4 per game) & 21 TDs (17 pass, 4 rush) with 2 INTs for a 109.8 rating in 7 career postseason starts. Became youngest QB in NFL history to win SB MVP last year. Passed for a season-high 462 yards & had 3 TDs with 0 INTs for a 124.7 rating in the Week 12 meeting with the Bucs. Ranked 2nd in the NFL with 4,740 pass yards, ranked 3rd with a 108.2 rating & ranked 4th with 38 TD passes in 2020.
- In seven career postseason starts, Patrick Mahomes has a 109.8 passer rating, the highest mark by a quarterback in postseason history (minimum 200 attempts)
- Patrick Mahomes is the 3rd player in NFL history with 4,000+ pass yards in 3 of 1st 4 seasons
- Clyde Edwards-Helaire ran for a TD in his postseason debut in AFC-C vs. Buffalo. Ranked 4th among rookies with 1,100 scrimmage yards & 803 rush yards in 2020
- Le’Veon Bell has 521 scrimmage yards (104.2 per game) & 4 TDs (3 rush, 1 rec.) in 5 career postseason games
- Tyreek Hill had 9 catches for 172 yards in AFC-C vs. Buffalo & aims to become the 3rd player in NFL history with 100+ rec yards in 4 straight postseason games. Had 105 rec. yards in SB LIV. Set career highs in catches (13) & rec. yards (269) & tied career high in rec. TDs (3) in Week 12 meeting. Ranked 2nd among WRs with career-high 17 TDs (15 rec., 2 rush) in 2020
- Travis Kelce had 13 catches for 118 yards & 2 TDs in AFC-C vs. Buf., 5th-career postseason game with 100+ rec. yards, most by TE in NFL history. Aims for his 4th in row in postseason with TD catch. Aims for his 7th in row with rec. TD, incl. postseason. Ranked 2nd in NFL with 1,416 rec. yards in 2020, most-ever by TE in single season. Had 82 rec. yards in Week 12 meeting
- Tyrann Mathieu led the team with a career-high 6 INTs in 2020. Had an INT in Week 12 meeting
- “lJarius Sneed aims for his 3rd in row in the postseason with a sack. Tied for the lead among rookies with 3 INTs in 2020
- Chrs Jones led the Chiefs with 7.5 sacks in 2020. Had 3 PD in SB LIV
- Frank Clark led Kansas City with 2 sacks in AFC-C vs. Buffalo. Aims for his 7th in a row in postseason with TFL. Has a sack in 6 of his past 7 in postseason.
- The Buccaneers have advanced to the Super Bowl for the 2nd time in franchise history (won SB XXXVII) & are 1st team to play a Super Bowl in their home stadium.
- Tampa Bay is the 4th Wild Card team to advance to SB since 2002
- The Buccaneers are the 1st team since the 2012 Ravens & 11th team since 1990 to defeat the top-2 seeds in their own conference.
- Bruce Arians will be the 2nd oldest head coach (68 years, 127 days) in Super Bowl history
- Tom Brady is the postseason all-time leader in starts (44), completions (1,085), pass yards (12,248) & pass TDs (80). Is the Super Bowl all-time leader in titles (6), pass yards (2,838) & pass TDs (18). Ranked tied for 2nd in passing TDs with a franchise-record 40 & was 3rd in passing yards (4,633) in 2020 & became the 5th QB in NFL history with at least 2 seasons of 40+ TD passes. Passed for 345 yards & 3 TDs with 2 INTs for a 96.1 rating in Week 12 meeting
- Leonard Fournette has 599 scrimmage yards (99.8 per game) & 7 TDs (6 rush, 1 rec.) in 6 career playoff games. Can join Terrell Davis (1997) & Larry Fitzgerald (2008) as the only players with a TD in 4 straight playoff games in single postseason
- Ronald Jones had career-highs in scrimmage yards (1,143), rush yards (978) & rush TDs (7) in 2020
- Mike Evans is looking for his third consecutive postseason game with a TD catch. Had 2 rec. TDs in Week 12 meeting. Ranked 4th in NFL in rec. TDs (13) this season. Became 1st player in NFL history with 1,000+ rec. yards in each of his 1st 7 seasons
- Chris Godwin had 5 catches for 110 yards in NFC-C at GB. Had 8 receptions for 97 yards in the Week 12 meeting.
- Rob Gronkowski is the all-time postseason leader among TEs in catches (83), rec. yards (1,206) & rec. TDs (12). Has 3 rec. TDs in 4 career Super Bowls.
- Lavonte David has 24 FFs since 2012, the 4th-most in the NFL
- Devin White had a franchise single-game playoff-record 15 tackles in NFC-C at GB. Became 1st player since 2000 with 140+ tackles (140) & 9+ sacks (9).
- Jason Pierre-Paul had 2 sacks in NFC-C at GB. Has 7 TFL & 6 PD in 7 career postseason games. Had a sack in the Week 12 meeting.
- Shaquil Barrett had 3 sacks in NFC-C & joined Warren Sapp (1/4/98) as the only TB players with 3 sacks in a single postseason game since 1982. Had sack in Week 12 meeting
- Sean Murphy-Bunting became 4th player with INT in each of his 1st 3 career postseason games in the Super Bowl era, joining Aeneas Williams, Ed Reed and Jason Sehorn