Michigan Wolverines vs Iowa Hawkeyes
FOX| Gus Johnson, Joel Klatt and Jenny Taft | 8:17 PM EST Lucas Oil Stadium | Indianapolis, Indiana
Series: Michigan leads 42-15-4 all-time—Iowa has won 5 of the last 7 meetings
This is the first time Michigan has appeared in the Big Ten Championship game, Iowa is making their second trip to the title game. The Hawkeyes to Michigan State 16-13 in the 2015 Championship. Since the Eas/West Divisions were created in 2014, the East has gone 7-0 with the average margin being 17.3 points per game. In fact the average margin for all 10 Big Ten Championship games has been 17.3 points per game.
Championship Game History
|2011||Wisconsin 42||Michigan State 39||QB Russell Wilson, Wisconsin|
|2012||Wisconsin 70||Nebraska 31||RB Montee Ball, Wisconsin|
|2013||Michigan State 34||Ohio State 24||QB Connor Cook, MSU|
|2014||Ohio State 59||Wisconsin 0||QB Cardale Jones, OSU|
|2015||Michigan State 16||Iowa 13||QB Connor Cook, MSU|
|2016||Penn State 38||Wisconsin 31||QB Trace McSorley, PSU|
|2017||Ohio State 27||Wisconsin 21||RB J.K Dobbins, OSU|
|2018||Ohio State 45||Northwestern 24||QB Dwayne Haskins, OSU|
|2019||Ohio State 34||Wisconsin 21||QB Justin Fields, OSU|
|2020||Ohio State 22||Northwestern 10||RB Trey Sermon, OSU|
|Ohio State (6)||5-1|
|Michigan State (3)||2-1|
|Penn State (1)||1-0|
*Includes this year.
- Michigan is 18th in the nation with an opponent’s third down rate of 32.9%
- Michigan has scored points in 42 of 48 quarters this season.
- The Wolverines have outscored opponents 213-73 in the first half this season and 75-19 in the first 15 minutes of play and 138-54 in the second quarter.
- Aidan Hutchinson is third in the nation with 1.08 sacks per game
- Michigan has scored on 52.1% of the drives led by cade McNamara this season.
- Michigan is 10th in the nation in Red Zone efficiency with a 91.7% success rate.
- Hassan Haskins has a Big Ten best 18 rushing TDs this season, the fifth most in the nation.
- Michigan has allowed just 3.5 yards per carry this season.
- Iowa has won six straight games over ranked opponents, the second longest active streak in the nation
- Iowa is 25-5 the last 30 times they have played for a trophy (rivalry or bowl game).
- Iowa leads the country in interceptions (22) and ranks third nationally in takeaways (28). The school record for interceptions in a season is 23 (1986, 1987, 2008).
- Iowa’s 28 takeaways this season have resulted in 92 points.
- The Hawkeyes have 86 interceptions since 2017, more than any team in the country
- Charlie Jones averages a Big Ten best 8.5 yards per punt return
- Dane Belton is tied for the NCAA lead with five interceptions this season.
- Iowa is getting flagged for 34.6 penalty yards per game, the fifth lowest total in in the nation.
- The Hawkeyes are defending 5.67 passes per game, the third most in the nation